Grilled Summer Vegetable Sandwich with Spicy Pesto Mayo
- 1 zucchini, sliced ½ inch thick on the bias
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into quarters
- ½ red onion, thickly sliced in rounds
- ½ cup Neilly’s Spicy Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Neilly’s Pesto Sauce or Spicy Pesto Sauce
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2-4 slices mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the vegetable marinade. Add the sliced vegetable to the marinade, tossing to coat, and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the spicy mayonnaise and pesto sauce until well combined.
- Heat the grill or grill pan to medium high heat. When the grill is hot, remove the vegetables from the marinade, letting excess drip off, and place them in a single layer on the grill.
- Cook the vegetables, flipping occasionally, until nicely charred and just tender, about 6-8 minutes total.
- Remove the vegetables and reduce the heat to medium. Assemble the sandwiches: Spread about a tablespoon of butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Spread some of the pesto mayonnaise mixture onto the other side of the slices. Layer on top of the mayonnaise the grilled vegetables and 1-2 slices of cheese each.
- Place the sandwiches on the grill or grill pan and cover. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until the underside is golden and grilled and the cheese is beginning to melt. Carefully flip the sandwiches and continue to cook for another 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.